Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

Why Afropunk Changed My Life...

AFROPUNK FEST

- NO SEXISM - NO RACISM - NO ABLEISM - NO AGEISM - NO HOMOPHOBIA - NO FATPHOBIA - NO TRANSPHOBIA - NO HATEFULNESS -

If those are not just about the best words to live by, I don't know what are. This past weekend I had the incredible opportunity to attend Afropunk Fest 2015 and I can honestly say that it was one of the most life-changing events I've ever been apart of. 

Afropunk is so much more than just some fashion show where people get dressed to show up and show out (don't get me wrong, every soul there was slaying my life)...I feel that the event often gets perceived that way due to the type of media and press coverage that it receives. Afropunk Fest is a bubbling hub of energetic people coming together to celebrate each and every aspect of African American culture.

As I walked around Commodore Barry Park in Brooklyn, I saw every color of human imaginable..there were people there from Korea, Detroit, Brazil, Chicago, California and just about everywhere else in between. I think seeing that is what resonated with me the most. The notion that "this is only a festival for black people" could not be any farther from the truth. This festival is set in place merely to focus on the appreciation of our culture as people of color, it doesn't matter what you may look like, as long as your intention is to spread love with your brothers and sisters... of any color.

After experiencing both days of this event, I felt that I had never experienced so much organic love from perfect strangers. I feel as though I had a complete resurgence in my self-confidence and realized how important it is to love and embrace everything about myself. To everyone reading this: know that you owe it to yourself to love YOU unconditionally. Everyone have a lovely weekenddd;)

Check out a few of my pics from Afropunk Fest '15




http://www.theveryblackproject.com/

Yummy Vegan Chorizo Taco

thank you to the beauty who did my face paint 




No comments:

Post a Comment